The Summer Student Nurse Intern Program is a 9-week paid clinical internship for selected Nursing Students. To qualify, Nursing Students must be currently enrolled in a state accredited nursing program during the SNI program period and have completed at least two semesters in their Nursing program, which will include all basic Nursing Fundamentals courses and at least 2 acute care clinical rotations.
If selected, the intern will be expected to work 40 hours per week during the program at The Queen’s Medical Center. Interns will provide patient care under the supervision of a Registered Nurse. You will have the opportunity to observe, interact and work as a team member with nurses and other health care disciplines. There will be educational sessions to assist in your growth towards professional nursing practice.
This 9-week program begins June 3, 2013 and ends on August 2, 2013. (Interns must complete the full 9 weeks.) During the first week of the program it is mandatory to attend hospital and patient services orientation. Upon completion of the program, you may have the opportunity to continue employment at The Queen’s Medical Center.
- Currently enrolled in an accredited nursing program
- Completion of at least two nursing semesters in a state accredited RN program
- Completion of Nursing Fundamental courses
- 3.5 Grade Point Average (GPA) or higher cumulative,on a 4.0 scale strongly preferred
- CPR-BLS Healthcare Provider certification, valid till end of program
This program will allow you to experience direct patient care (“hands-on” experience) in a clinical area of interest. Placement for the 9-week program will be offered in clinical areas with respect to the applicant’s qualifications and availability of unit positions.
Clinical Units may include:
- Medical / Surgical Units
- Float Pool
- Emergency Department
- Medical ICU
- Neuro ICU
- Surgical ICU
- Medical / Surgical
- Labor & Delivery
- Post Partum & Nursery
- Recovery Room
- Same Day Surgery
- Adult Inpatient Unit
- Adolescent Inpatient Unit
1 or 2 days will be arranged for observation in an area of your interest during the 9 weeks:
- Pain Management
- Wound Clinic
- Same Day Surgery
- And more…
Complete online application at www.queens.org beginning December 18, 2012 through January 18, 2013.
All required documents must be received by The Queen’s Health Systems Human Resources Department no later than January 25, 2013. You may email your required documents (excluding Official Transcripts) to
. Documents sent via the US Postal Service must be postmarked no later than January 25, 2013.
- Completion of Goal/Objective and Unit Preference Form
- Reference Letters (2 required)
- One Nursing Instructor Reference Letter
- One Employer or Character Reference letter. (Character Reference Letters may come from your Church Pastor or from Volunteer/Extra Curricular Activities Coordinator)
- Current Official Transcripts from an Accredited School of Nursing College. Transcripts must be mailed directly from your School to the Human Resources Department. (If hand delivering transcripts to the Human Resources Department, do not open the envelope that contains your transcripts. Unsealed transcripts will not be accepted).
- Required documents can be emailed to:
- Proof of CPR – BLS Healthcare Provider certification must be valid until end of program. Copy must be provided prior to the start of the program.
Mail Official Transcripts and other required documents to:
The Queen's Health Systems:
Human Resources Department
1301 Punchbowl Street
Honolulu, HI 96813
Interviews of selected qualified applicants will be conducted by managers between February – March 2013.
Notification of selection in March 2013.
Acceptance into a position is contingent upon successful completion of May 2013 required courses with maintenance of a 3.5 cumulative GPA strongly preferred, HR background/criminal checks, and a post-offer employment physical exam, which includes drug and alcohol screening.
For additional information about the Summer Student Nurse Intern Program, please contact the Human Resources department by phone at 808.691.7075 or by email at
Download the Goal/Objective and Unit Preference Form
Download the SNI FAQs
Some of the information on this website is available for download as PDF files.
To view these files you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer.
If you don't already have a copy, you can download it for free by CLICKING HERE.