An Arterial Duplex Scan, also known as an Arterial Ultrasound, uses sound waves to produce images of how well and how much blood is flowing through the blood vessels that supply blood from your heart to other parts of your body. The ultrasound images are much like a movie and allow your doctor to see and hear the blood flow, and determine if there are any blockages or narrowings which may reduce blood flow.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING THE TEST
This test takes approximately one hour and 30 minutes.
This test is painless and involves little risk. Test results of will be sent to your physician who will discuss them with you.
AFTER THE TEST
Should you experience pain or discomfort at or near the site of the ultrasound pressure, please call your doctor and 9-1-1.
PREPARING FOR YOUR TEST
- Transportation: No special preparations are required for this test. You will be able to drive home after this test.
- Food and Drink: You may eat before this test, however, avoid eating a large meal as it may make you feel uncomfortable or full during the testing.
- Medications: Please consult with your physician if you should hold any of your medications before taking this test.
- Clothing: Wear a shirt that can be easily removed while you wear your skirt or pants. One-piece clothing and dresses are not recommended. A hospital pajama top will be provided.
- Check-in Time: Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment.
APPOINTMENT AND PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED
Call the Queen's Pre-Registration Department at 808-691-4770 three days before your scheduled test to update your registration. Please have your medical insurance cards ready for verification.