Primarily used to detect abnormal heart beats, a 24-hour or 48-hour Holter Monitor works like a continuous Electrocardiogram (EKG/ECG); it records how your heart is working over a 24- or 48-hour period. You wear this portable monitor during your normal daily activities, including while exercising and sleeping.
The results of this test can also be used to help your doctor determine how well your heart medicines are working.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING THE TEST
Like an EKG/ECG, the Holter Monitor has small patches that are stuck onto your chest. These patches are connected by wires, called leads, to a small recording monitor that you carry in a pocket, pouch or on a belt around your waist.
Our technicians will also show you how to replace the patches or wires should they come loose.
AFTER THE TEST
While you are wearing the monitor, you will have to write down what activities you are doing and how you are feeling at the time.
While wearing the device, do not shower, bathe or submerge the device into water.
After wearing the monitor for the time frame specified by your physician, you will return the monitor to our office here at Queen’s Heart. No appointment is necessary for your monitor return.
PREPARING FOR YOUR TEST
- Transportation: No special preparations are required for this test.
- Food and Drink: No special preparations are required for this test.
- Medications: No special preparations are required for this test.
- Clothing: Wear loose clothing (shirt or blouse) to your appointment when monitor is placed and while you wear the device.
- Check-in Time: Please arrive on time for your appointment.
APPOINTMENT AND PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED
Call the Queen's Pre-Registration Department at 808-691-4770 three days before your scheduled test to update your registration. Please have your medical insurance cards ready for verification.